Areas of Practice
- General Civil Litigation
- Defense Base Act (DBA)
- Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA)
- Employment Law
Mr. Cottrell’s practice focuses primarily on the defense of claims arising under the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA) and the Defense Base Act (DBA).
Mr. Cottrell earned a Bachelor of Arts in International Affairs from George Washington University and graduated cum laude. Mr. Cottrell earned a Doctor of Jurisprudence from Washington & Lee University, where he served on the Moot Court Executive Board and the Journal of Civil Rights and Social Justice. Mr. Cottrell was a finalist at the W&L Mock Trial Competition during his second year of law school and a regional finalist in the American Association for Justice Student Trial Advocacy Competition the following year, while acting as Editor in Chief of The Law News.
Awards & Honors
- Lead Online Article Editor, Journal of Civil Rights and Social Justice
- Law School Newspaper National Award of Excellence, American Bar Association
- “Finalist” W&L Mock Trial Competition, Jan. 2021
- “Regional Finalist” AAJ Student Trial Advocacy Competition, Mar. 2022
- Washington & Lee University, Doctor of Jurisprudence, 2022
- George Washington University, Bachelor of Arts, cum laude, 2018
Memberships & Services
- American Association for Justice; Member