John J. Elmer
Associate, New Orleans
365 Canal Street, Suite 2900New Orleans, Louisiana 70130 work
Areas Of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Jones Act/Maritime Defense
- Personal Injury/Wrongful Death Defense
- Products Liability
- State and Federal Civil Litigation
John Elmer practices within the firm’s general litigation defense group with a particular emphasis on matters involving personal injury.
John worked at a high-volume plaintiff’s firm for six years after graduating law school. He did much of the firm’s research and writing along with handling the discovery and motion practice for its larger cases. He helped the younger lawyers prepare their cases for judge trials and often tried or supervised these trials. Further, he assisted senior attorneys prepare for jury trials.
He has lived most of his life in the Greater New Orleans area and has a background in the hospitality industry. When not working, he loves to cook, fish, and travel.
- Juris Doctorate from Loyola University in New Orleans, Louisiana, 2014
- Bachelor of Science degree from the University of New Orleans in Hotel Restaurant & Tourism Administration with a minor in Management, 2011
- Highest Grade in Class in Criminal Law and Federal Civil Procedure II
- National Merit Scholar
- Louisiana State Bar, 2014
- Court Admissions: United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, and U.S. District Courts, Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of Louisiana
Memberships & Services
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
- The Criminal Defense Clinic within the Stuart H. Smith Clinic and Center for Social Justice during Law School
- As Plaintiff’s counsel, Mr. Elmer personally settled multiple six-figure cases and substantially participated in several cases with awards into the millions.
- He spent much of his time learning spinal cord injury causation. He has deposed dozens of orthopedic spine surgeons, biomechanical engineers, and neurosurgeons and written several Daubert motions seeking to exclude such experts.
- He has tried several bench trials.